Monday, September 16, 2002

Dear God,

Thank you for your son, Jesus Christ. I thank you also for the great, true principles that are in your Bible. Without them, my life would be so insecure and meaningless.

You are the source of joy in my life. I want to change my life to become more like you. I see this in my relationship with the child you've given me. I realize that her image of you is seen in how she sees me. Lord, I know that I've been such a poor example.

Yesterday, for example, I lost it. After the morning rains, I let our dog Jake outside in the backyard and tie him up so that he wouldn't run away. Moments later, while getting things cleaned up for lunch, I notice him outside eagerly digging a deep hole -- all muddy. All I could think about was that there was this extra work that would have to be done in repairing our yard and cleaning the dog up. I turned on the hose and throughly drenched him with water, holding onto the leash so that he couldn't run away from me.

Then I tied him up to an old toddler bedframe that had been sitting in the backyard and went back inside. I saw Keisha at the kitchen sink. She was trying to wash off some blue marker she had colored her face with. Again, all I could think of was this was going to be more work to do when other things weren't getting done, like making lunch.

All of sudden, I heard the dog start barking and take off around the house. I guess the toddler bed frame wasn't heavy enough. I found Jake in the front yard chasing a black cat. He was still tied up to half of the toddler bed frame. Keisha comes out, curious as to what's going on. "Get back inside!" I yelled, knowing that as soon as the dog sees her, he head straight for her, towing half of the toddler bed frame. Well, I wasn't fast enough because that's exactly what Jake did, and, in the process, knocked Keisha over with the half of the bed frame.

Now Keisha's upset, Jake's upset, and I'm upset. Jennie comes out and says, "Have you LOST YOUR MIND?!" I cry out, "YES!" as I untie him. Then I began to sob, regretting my outburst of anger.

God, these experiences are teaching me and showing me how I'm not in control over my anger, but I hate the effects they have on those I love. As I think of my relationship with Keisha, I cannot help but see my Dad and I when I was growing up. I don't want to make any excuses. I want to change. Please give me the desire -- make it burn within me, O God!

Thanks so much for your grace, mercy, and undying love.

Your son,
Dan