Sunday, February 09, 2003

Dear Lord,

Today I'm reminded of your promise that when I am weak, you are strong. Not only I, dear Father, but nearly my entire family with me - we all are ill. The doctors say it's a sinus infection we've caught.

My body hurts when I cough. Initially in my ribs, then my chest, then my throat. I'm taking medicine to help clear this gunk out, and I can tell that it's working. Moreover, my head is stuffed up. But I think the big thing is the lethargy.

God, we need our rest. Yet when all the adults are sick, and our daughter is not, this creates a logistical tangle. For both my wife and I, also Mom, want and desire our rest, but Keisha needs something constructive to do. I emphasize constructive because we don't want her to create a mess that is too big for her to handle. In a way, it's as though we would rather her be with someone else for awhile until we got better. Perhaps we could do that; see if she could spend some time over at a friend's house.

Additionally, I can see how limited my patience is when I'm ill. It doesn't take much for me to get irritated, and I get easily angered at the dog and Keisha. I ask you to please help me to step away from myself during these times, so that I will not sin against those I love.

I am also so deeply convicted at my unholiness. There you are in heaven, perfect in everything, and here I am, sick, dirty, and the best I can offer you are filthy rags. Lord, I feel that even more, now, I need you to renew me, to remake me. In my everyday living I am not focused on being holy like you are holy. Please change my mind and my heart.

I am so thankful for my brothers and sisters in Christ. I know that you've commanded all of us to love one another, just as you have loved us. Perhaps this is a time when we will be shown much love from those around us. Nevertheless, your love is always there.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I want for everyone in our family, during this time of additional stress - this illness, to become even more aware of your presence in our lives. I pray we do not forget you. I pray that we continue to build you up and remain faithful. Help us to be encouraged as we realize that you've not given us more than we can handle. You are making us stronger, you are making us grow. For this I praise you, Heavenly Father.

I long for the day that I may rest in you up in heaven. Please help me to stay on the right path so that when it's my time, I will be ready. Praise and glory be to you, Almighty Father, for the everlasting love you have for us!

In Jesus' name,
Amen!