Thursday, July 20, 2006

Cleanse me of the moral filth inside me

Dear God,

I was just thinking about sin in my life. I know you know everything already. I can't hide anything from you. I'm amazed that your love is unconditional, and I'm glad you're like that.

I have no defense for the sin in my life. Some sin I've willingly gone after, only to feel the cheapness of it later on. Other sin is more engrained in my character, and it's much harder to deal with. Yet I'm guilty of all kinds of sin.

When I first gave my life over to you, I didn't realize how sinful I am. I'm realizing now that it's my nature to sin.

I know that my own selfishness and pride leads me to do sinful things. I engage in sin, and it hurts you. I see that intellectually even during the moments while I do it. And there's the willful sin in which I cheapen your grace and sacrifice just for some quick, momentary satisfaction that ultimately leaves me empty inside.

I don't know what to say. I'm afraid for my heart because of how cold it can be toward you. I'm bothered by this, to say the least.

I realize that you will judge every deed done in secret, every thought and action. I have done many ungodly deeds and have had terrible thoughts.

I have nothing to give as payment for my sin. I feel as though I should, especially when the sin has been continual and there has not been a change in my heart; the sins I've gone back to.

I guess this is where I need to lay myself down at your mercy once more, Lord. I wish I didn't have the desires to do the sinful acts I do. I want you to cleanse me of all the moral filth that's inside me. Please take away the cravings to engage in behavior that is harmful to my body, which also affects those around me. Please fill me up with your righteousness, with the zeal to do your will wholeheartedly.

And please remove the guilt from my heart so that I may walk again upright with a clear conscience.

Thank you so much, Father, for hearing this prayer. And, if there is something still on my heart that I haven't communicated but you know I need, please, according to your unfailing love, meet that need, too.

Please help me to see myself as you see me. And please help me to see you for whom you really are.

I'm so glad you give me the ability to change.

In Jesus' your son's name I pray,
Amen